1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer
More on the survey and the issue that people are facing can be found here: https://t.co/IgLydi4MOV Des

PIP to DLA - Previous Medical Evidence

‘Invitation’ to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in place of your indefinite DLA award.

In the coming months if you are at present in receipt of an indefinite DLA award and were under 65 on 8th April 2013 you will get a letter ‘inviting’ you to make a claim for PIP. If you wish to continue to get some benefit you have no choice but to put in a claim.

The instruction will be to phone the PIP claim line. In bold below is the script of what the person from the DWP will say to you:

“Personal Independence Payment’ (PIP) is a new benefit. Once you complete a claim over the phone (In writing if paper claim requested) you will receive a ‘How your disability affects you’ PIP2 form to complete. When you return the PIP2 you can include any medical or supporting evidence you think may help us. You will then be referred to an Assessment Provider who may gather further medical evidence

Is there any other specific medical evidence from your DLA claim that you think might help?” 

The important part is the question at the end and it is likely you would like the previous medical evidence to be taken into account and if you say ‘Yes’ you will be asked:

Do you know what that evidence was when it was obtained?

The chances are you don’t know what evidence was given to them at the time so the safe answer is ‘I don’t know’

You should then be told:

We can send you a copy of the medical evidence we have on your DLA file. Due to requirements under the Data Protection Act and our document retention procedures, previous evidence may not be available. If evidence is still on your file we will ensure that it is taken into account. On the covering letter we send you with the copy of your DLA medical evidence you will be given a date by which you must let us know if you want to use any of the information for your Personal Independence claim.”

This way you get to decide what evidence you want them to use not the DWP. If the person you are speaking to does not offer to send the information to you ask for it yourself.

If you want more information on this or what their ‘script’ says in full if you say ‘yes’ please contact

Janet Horton, Benefits Adviser on the FMA UK Benefits Helpline which is available Mon and Fri 10 - 12. Tel: 0300 999 0055 (please note the Benefits Helpline is closed until 6/1/17)


We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Cookie Use Page.

I accept cookies from this site.